Sociology Majors/Minors are strongly encouraged to book advising appointments with our Student Program Advisor, Debbie Best, to make sure that they know what they need (required GPA, courses) to successfully complete their respective programs. Based on academic records, students are also advised about the requirements of General Education, Electives, Upper Level courses, and potential petitions. Given that our students often have competing commitments, advising is completed according to a simple goal: to make all reasonable effort to ensure your years of investment in obtaining your degree with a Major/Minor in Sociology is free of unexpected problems.
To help ensure success in our program, all new students should book an advising appointment with Debbie Best. As well, it is in your best interest to check in with her at least once a year to make sure that you are on the right track for your eventual graduation.
A message from the Undergraduate Program Director, Professor Michael Nijhawan: If you wish to talk about concerns related to specific courses and their content, career goals, how to improve your study skills or post-graduate education planning, please email email@example.com with my name - Michael Nijhawan - in the subject line, and I will be happy to book an appointment with you. Note that all questions about grade reappraisals and petitions are to be taken up with Debbie Best. If you are unsure which of us to meet with, start by booking an advising appointment with Debbie Best.
When you book an advising appointment with the Department of Sociology, you will meet with Debbie Best, Student Program Advisor (Monday - Friday).
Location: Department of Sociology - Vari Hall 2060
- If you book an appointment and are unable to keep it, please cancel using the online booking system.
- If you must cancel with less than 24 hours notice, please notify the Sociology Department at 416-736-5015.
- I am in the Honours program, but I want to graduate with a BA, is this possible?
- I am in my fourth year of study at York but I am unable to enroll in AP/SOCI 4000 level courses, why?
- I graduated from college with 30 transfer credits, how are these credits applied toward my degree (including my major in Sociology) at York?
- I am in good academic standing at York but I am not able to continue enrolling in courses at York. I want to continue my studies, so how do I obtain the LOP (Letter of Permission from York granting students to successfully complete courses that are being counted toward their degree requirements at York)?
- Can I retake a course to upgrade my GPA? Should I?
- My current GPA is negatively impacting my ability to proceed further with my studies and I would like to have some poor grades removed, what is the process?
- I am not in agreement with the grade that I have been assigned in this Sociology course, what is the grade reappraisal process?
- I am a student in Sociology (Major/Minor, Honours or General BA), and I simply want to have someone "walk me through " what I need to complete for the degree. Is there a person that I can talk to?
If you book an appointment and are unable to keep it, please cancel using the online booking system. If you must cancel with less than 24 hours notice, please telephone the Sociology Department.